I always have to keep certain foods on hand because those are my go to items when feeling cravings or just trying to get fuel into my body. I get asked a lot what I eat every single day and I am actually pretty boring with what I eat. I could go with eating the same thing every day for weeks until I decide to change it up. I know other people are not like that, but thats why I wanted to give you some of my favorite things that I always keep on hand to ensure that I am pleased with the number on the scale at the end of the month. I have never claimed to eat clean, but I count calories. I am a busy full time mom and although I would love to be able to shop at Whole Foods and buy everything clean, I just cannot. I don't have the budget for it and I am pretty busy enough. I hope that clears anything up from any of your questions you may have.
1. Thin Wich buns: I buy these at Wal Mart in the bread aisle. I really like these because they are made with Flax Seeds. I don't really eat any bread, but this kind I do. I can still enjoy a burger or sandwich if I eat these which is nice. They are only 90 calories per bun! I usually will toast one and then spread avocado on top with some salt and pepper. Its a very filling and healthy snack.
2. Gum: This may sound very simple and obvious but gum has been my saving grace on many occasions. In fact, I am chewing some right now. When I still have a few hours to eat next or its bedtime and I am getting a sweet craving, usually I pop a piece of gum in my mouth and I feel much better. Of course, it doesn't always take the craving away, but when I am out and about and won't be able to eat for a few hours, this definitely helps me resist the cupcakes offered at the birthday party.
3. Kirkland Weight loss shakes: I am not a huge Slim Fast diet person. I actually don't think that diet lasts for anyone, but these drinks have really been awesome to have. In the mornings, I usually add banana and peanut butter and make a protein shake (recipe here). Its very filling and there is so much protein. It gets me through the morning and helps me refuel after a tough morning workout.
4. Apples: This has quickly become my favorite snack. I prefer Green apples over any kind, but of course you can choose your favorite. I love to cut one up and eat it with a tablespoon of Peanut butter. My kids always eat it with me and they love apples now.
5. Bananas: They are so very good for you! I recently discovered they are a good food for ridding belly fat and since incorporating these into my diet, I feel like thats really been something thats helped me start to shed pounds on my belly. They are a little higher in calories than most fruits, but I always eat one in my morning shake.
6. Greek Yogurt Dip: This has got to be one of my favorite dips. It almost tastes like Ranch but 2 tablespoons at 50 calories, its definitely not ranch! I love to snack on carrots and broccoli and cauliflower with this dip. You can purchase it at Costco.
7. Broccoli: I try and eat broccoli once a day. Whether that be raw as a snack or steamed with my dinner, I love having it. I know it may not be everyones favorite, but you can eat cauliflower or carrots or even edamame. I just try and eat vegetables every day.
So these are my on-hand weight loss basics for food. I do also try and have Nuts on hand as well. I don't have any right now, but I like to buy the big case from Costco of the mixed nuts. Nuts are higher in calories, but very good for you. Since I have learned that some high calorie foods are good for you, I have been much more lenient on myself when eating them because I don't feel like I over eating. Knowledge is power!